1.An escalator is descending at constant speed.
A walks down and takes 50 steps to reach the bottom.
B runs down and takes 90 steps in the same time as A takes 10 steps.
How many steps are visible when the escalator is not operating?
Ans: 150 steps
2. Every day a cyclist meets a train at a particular crossing.
The road is straight before the crossing and both are travelling in the same direction.
The cyclist travels with a speed of 10 Kmph.
One day the cyclist comes late by 25 min. and meets the train 5km before the crossing.
What is the speed of the train?
Ans: 60 kmph
3. There are five persons with surnames Mukherjee, Misra, Iyer, Patil and Sharma.
There are 4 persons having first or middle name of Kumar, 3 persons with Mohan, 2 persons with Dev and 1 Anil.
Either Mukherjee and Patil have a first or middle name of Dev or Misra and Iyer have their first or middle name of Dev.
Of Mukherkjee and Misra, either both of them have a first or middle name of Mohan or neither have a first or
middle name of Mohan.
Either Iyer or Sharma has a first or middle name of Kumar but not both.
Who has the first or middle name of Anil?
Ans: Kumar Misra Dev
Mohan Iyer Dev
Kumar Patil Mohan
Mohan Sharma Kumar
4. Boys are allowed to watch football at C.V.Raman auditorium subjected to conditions.
The boy over age 16 can wear overcoat
No boy over age 15 can wear cap
To watch the football either he has to wear overcoat or cap or both
A boy with an umberella or above 16 or both cannot wear sweater.
Boys must either not watch football or wear sweater.
What is the appearence of the boy who is watching football.
5. A bird keeper has got P pigeons, M mynas and S sparrows.
The keeper goes for lunch leaving his assistant to watch the birds.
Suppose p=10, m=5, s=8 when the bird keeper comes back, the assistant informs the x birds have escaped. The bird keeper exclaims: “Oh no! All my sparrows are gone.”
How many birds flew away?
When the bird keeper comes back, the assistant told him that x birds have escaped. The keeper realised that atleast 2 sparrows have escaped.
What is minimum no of birds that can escape?
6. Answer the following questions based on the conditions from the choices A, B, C, D, E as described below:
(A) if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 1
(B) if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 2
(C) if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 1 and 2
(D) if a definete conclusion can be drawn from condition 1 or 2
(E) no conclusion can be drawn using both conditions
person 1 says N<5
person says N>5
person 3 says 3N>20
person 4 says 3N>10
person 5 says N<8
What is the value of N?
a) 1. No of persons who speak false being less than no of persons who tells the truth.
2. Person 2 is telling the truth.
b) 1. no of persong telling the truth is greater than no of persons telling lies
2. person 5 is telling the truth.
7. There are N coins on a table and there are two players A & B.
You can take 1 or 2 coins at a time.
The person who takes the last coin is the loser.
A always starts first.
(a) A can always win by taking two coins in his first chanse
(b) B can win only if A takes two coins in his first chance.
(c) B can always win by proper play
(d) none of the above
2. A can win by proper play if N is equal to
(a) 13 (b) 37 (c) 22 (d) 34 (e) 48
3. B can win by proper play if N is equal to
(a) 25 (b)26 (c) 32 (d) 41 (e) none
4. if N<4, can A win by proper play always?
(a) Yes (b) No
8. Two twins have vertain peculiar charcteristics.
One of them always lies on Monday, Wednesday, Friday.
The other always lies on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
On the other days they tell the truth. You are given a conversation.
Person A– today is Sunday my name is Anil
Person B — today is Tuesday, my name is Bill
What day is today?
Ans: Today is Tuesday.
9. There is a safe with a 5 digit number as the key.
The 4th digit is 4 greater than second digit, while 3rd digit is 3 less than 2nd digit.
The 1st digit is thrice the last digit.
There are 3 pairs whose sum is 11.
Find the number.
10. A hotel has two wings,the east wing and the west wing.
Some east wing rooms but not all have an ocean view.
All west wing rooms have a harbour view.
The charge for all rooms is identical, except as follows :
Extra charge for all harbour view rooms on or above the 3rd floor
Extra charge for all ocean view rooms except those without balcony
Extra charge for some harbour rooms on the first two floor & some east wing rooms without ocean view but
having kitchen facilities.
Which of the following cannot be determined on the basis of the nformation given:
I. Whether there are any rooms without a balcony for which an extra charge is imposed.
II. Whether any room without a kitchen or a view involves an extra charge.
III. Whether two extra charges are impsed for any room.
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II and III
(This question is from 1999 Barrons GRE Guide model Test 3 – section 6, question 22)
11. Mrs. Jones, Mrs. Davis and Mrs. Smith are Friends. Their first names are Mary, Helen and Dorothy though not in order. All three of them go on shopping, where Marry spends twice of what Helen spent and Helen spends thrice of what Dorothy Spends. Mrs. Davis spends 3.85 more than Mrs. Smith. Identify the Families of these three women.
12. A cube of size 10 units, painted black, is cut into 1000 pieces of 1 unit size. How many of the cubes are painted (At least on one side)
13. A Person gets his old book binded. But he finds that the page numbers are cut off. So he starts numbering the pages. During the process he finds that 3 is encountered 61 times. Can u tell how many pages were there in the book?
14. A child questions his father, “What is your father’s age”, to which the father answers “He was aged X in year X2”. If the context is 20th Century, What is his Date of Birth?
15. A Clock loses exactly 24 minutes per hour. The Clock is now showing 3.00 A.M. If the clock was corrected a midnight and it stooped 1 hour ago, What is the correct time now? 6. A boy will cycle his way to his grandfather’s house. On the first day he cycles 1/2 of the distance. On the second day he cycles 1/2 of he remaining distance. On the third day he cycles three quarter of the remaining. On the fourth day he cycles 10 miles. On the fourth day he cycles 3/4 of the remaining distance and on the final day he cycles the remaining 5 miles. What is total distance he traveled?
17. A rich man wanted to distribute his collection of gold coins among his ten children comprising of 5 sons and 5 daughters. He also wanted to give some coins to his car driver. He proceeds on the following basis. The first coin went to the car driver and then 1/5th of the remaining coins to his first son. He then gave another coin to the car driver and distributed 1/5th of the remaining coins to his second son. This procedure went on till all the five sons received their share. Once all the sons received their shares, he distributed the remaining coins equally among his daughters. Can u find how many gold coins the rich man had?
18. Ava, Fanny, Eartha, Cynthia, Isabelle and Rick, Smith, Vic, Steve, Willy are 5 Couples though not in order. Each were married on the different day of the week from Monday to Friday.Ava was married on Monday but not to Willy Steve was married on Thursday and Rick on Friday (but not to Isabelle) Fanny married Vic on the day after Eartha was married. Identify the Couples.